History

Since 1895

For more than a century, Piper Jaffray has been evolving as a leading financial services company. We pride ourselves on listening carefully to our clients, daring to innovate, and adapting to marketplace trends.

2013

Piper Jaffray acquires Seattle-Northwest Securities Corporation and Edgeview Partners, significantly expanding its municipal and M&A advisory businesses, respectively.

2010

Piper Jaffray acquires Advisory Research, Inc., an asset management firm mainly focused in equity strategies, as a stable complement to its more cyclical global capital markets business.

2007

Piper Jaffray completes acquisition of Hong Kong-based investment bank, Goldbond Capital Holdings Limited.

2007

Piper Jaffray completes acquisition of FAMCO to expand asset management capabilities.

2006

Piper Jaffray completes the sale of its Private Client Services branch network to UBS Financial Services, allowing Piper Jaffray to focus entirely on building a leading investment bank.

2004

Piper Jaffray acquires Vie Securities, LLC, a leading provider of algorithm-based, electronic execution services. The firm now offers new proprietary algorithm-based trading capability as part of its broader, client-focused equity trading platform.

2003

Piper Jaffray becomes an independent, publicly held company following its spin-off from U.S. Bancorp. Stock begins trading again on the NYSE under the symbol PJC.

2001

Milwaukee-based Firstar Inc. acquires U.S. Bancorp, giving way to the eighth largest financial services organization with $170 billion in assets. The new entity retains the U.S. Bancorp name.

2000

Andrew Duff assumes the role of CEO; Tad Piper remains chairman.

2000

The company moves its headquarters to 800 Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis. The firm now has more than 125 retail offices in 18 Midwest, Mountain and Western states.

1999

The company changes its name to U.S. Bancorp Piper Jaffray to reflect its partnership.

1998

Piper Jaffray is acquired by U.S. Bancorp in a cash transaction valued at $730 million.

1996

Andrew Duff assumes the role of president.

1993

The Piper Jaffray Companies Foundation is established and allocates $3.4 million to charitable organizations in its first year.

1992

The name of the broker-dealer changes from Piper Jaffray & Hopwood Incorporated to Piper Jaffray Inc.

1986

Common stock of Piper Jaffray begins trading on NASDAQ under the symbol PIPR.

1985

The company moves to a building bearing its own name and striking an impressive silhouette on the Minneapolis landscape: the Piper Jaffray Tower.

1983

Addison L. Piper succeeds Harry C. Piper Jr. as chief executive officer. Forbes lists Piper Jaffray Incorporated, the holding company for Piper Jaffray & Hopwood, as one of the best “small companies” in the U.S.

1971

The firm becomes the first regional brokerage firm to offer its own stock for public sales. Investors buy 300,000 shares of common stock.

1967

Harry Piper Jr. becomes chairman of the directing partners of Piper Jaffray & Hopwood. Two years later he becomes chairman of the board and CEO.

1964

By the mid-60s, the company has not only acquired another entity, Jamieson & Company, it has added eight offices.

1944

Nearly 50 years since its inception in Minneapolis, Piper Jaffray & Hopwood begins its expansion westward, opening an office in Great Falls, Mont.

1929

The stock market crash hits Hopwood & Company hard, while Lane, Piper & Jaffray, which hasn’t yet traded listed securities, is not directly affected. Piper Jaffray & Hopwood is formed and the new firm gains a seat on the New York Stock Exchange.

1917

George B. Lane & Co. merges with Piper, Jaffray & Co. to form Lane, Piper & Jaffray, brokers of commercial paper securities.

1914

F.P. Hopwood and his son, Robert Gaddis Hopwood, introduce Hopwood Investment Co., which specializes in mortgage loans, real estate and insurance.

1913

H.C. Piper Sr. and C.P. Jaffray establish their own commercial paper business called Piper, Jaffray & Co.

1895

George Lane establishes George B. Lane, Commercial Paper and Collateral Loans & Co., a commercial paper brokerage, in Minneapolis. Lane offered promissory notes to businesses, focusing on Minnesota’s growing grain elevator and milling industries.